Do you think that we are better than the people written about in the Old Testament? After all, we have so much more light with regard to God, His Word, His Son and His work. Plus we have the Holy Spirit. Yet, reading through the Old testament, I was reminded of how similar mankind has remained throughout the centuries.
We are just as, and often even more ungrateful, grumbling, discontented, complaining, skeptical, disbelieving, doubting, insisting on our own way, disobedient, proud, envious, and the list goes on. Our day to day thoughts, words and actions remain rooted in the same basic characteristics of a depraved heart nestled in the old nature.
When we acquiesce to the gentle, loving and graceful call of Christ our Savior, we learn that all our earthly lives we will be growing in sanctification (continually putting off the old man, putting on the new, coming out from among the ungodly and separating ourselves unto God).
Since the day of our salvation, our deliverance, how far have we traveled? Where are we on that journey? Are we still lingering close to, holding hands with or wearing the same "old clothes" of the old man?
Am I?
The Bible is replete with commands to examine ourselves to ensure that we are in the faith, of the household of God and walking in obedience. We are commanded to constantly de-clutter our lives of the old "..put off concerning your former conduct, the old man, which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts..." NKJ Ephesians 4:2 and instead "...put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." We are also urged to accessorize (my concept) our lives "...whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." NKJ Philippians 4:8.
With these thoughts in mind, I'm embarking on a major de-cluttering exercise to weed out the old attitudes and practices that may have become so commonplace in my life that I no longer see them as being inappropriate for a child of God. De-cluttering is never easy. it may even be painful. But God's hand can reach in the crevices I may overlook and ignore. He sees what I do not, cannot. I know He is going to pull out "'stuff" that I'd rather not see or deal with. But it is His call, really. It's not mine. I've asked him to take me through this "de-cluttering and cleansing" and I know He is always thorough.
So each day, my heart's cry will be the words written by Adelaide Pollard in 1907:
Have thine own way Lord! Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay!
Mold me and make me, after thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.
Have thine own way Lord! Have thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow Lord, Wash me just now,
As in thy presence, humbly I bow.
Have thine own way Lord! Have thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power all power, surely is thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.
Have thine own way Lord! Have thine own way!
Hold o'er my being, absolute sway!
Fill with thy spirit, 'till all shall see,
Christ only, always, living in me.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
My de-cluttering exercise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment