Saturday, June 14, 2008

God - first in everything

I know only too well, as you too might have experienced, those times of a hollow, dry and empty feeling in my soul and I wonder why.

I recall a popular saying in my youth, “When you feel far from God, ask yourself, who moved.” It is as relevant today even more than ever.

I'm just as guilty as the next Christian, who falls into a "Woe is me!" funk.

One day, we sit and wonder why our Christian life feels so dry and empty. The joy and passion seems to have been sucked out of this life that we say we are committed to because of the great saving work of Christ our Lord and Saviour.

But what do we expect?

We don't make Him the center of our existence. He comes in last on our list of priorities, no matter what the situation.

Our lives are busy even with the minimum of responsibilities. No matter how we wish it, life is not as simple or unhurried as it used to be. Despite modern-day conveniences, household chores are what they are chores, work, demanding physical action and mental juggling. There are many more activities involved in caring for and managing family members. We can't escape it, that's life in the 21st Century. God has blest us with the opportunity to live in this new millennium and enjoy the benefits of new discoveries and inventions in medicine, technology, education etc. Experts are constantly coming up with new strategies to deal with problems in ways we never imagined. It's an exciting time indeed to be alive.

Nevertheless, the essence of the Christian life remains the same. It's not rocket science. In fact it is not science at all. It is simple; the gospel is as simple as it ever was. The tenets of living the life Christ called and chose us to live is clear-cut in the Word of God.

In John 3:30, John the Baptist said,

"He must increase but I must decrease."
And John Murray echoes the sentiments of this this truth when he wrote,
"The nearer we are to God, the less we are in ourselves but the stronger we are in him. The more I see of God, the less I become; the deeper is my confidence in Him. To become lowly, let God fill eye and heart. Where God is all, there is no time or place for man."
I’m aware of the common belief that we should put God first, family second, work third, etc. It seems to me that such thinking leaves room for someone else to govern our thoughts, words and actions in the situations and relationships that clock in lower down on our priority list.

I hold to the belief that in every situation, in every relationship, God and His Word takes priority.

In dealing with our spouses, God is at the forefront of our conversations, daily living, our problem solving and financial acrobatics. On the job, God’s commands dictate how we act and react with superiors, colleagues and clients. In our churches, God stands at the helm of every decision to safeguard us from our propensity to elevate ourselves and fluff up our pride.
His word and His word along must govern every facet of our lives.

I encourage you to not give God a number on your priority list that leaves the other areas of your life free for you to handle as you see fit in your own eyes. Acknowledge that God is first and foremost and in control of every facet of your life. And as you live each day, moving from one responsibility, activity and relationship to another, keep you eye on Him as He moves ahead of you, along side of you and in your heart.

May you know of God's abiding presence in everything you thing, say and do today.

No comments: