Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Low mainentence

My friend Sita described me as a low maintenance person. Maybe I am if she means that I take things in stride, try to keep my life simple, trust God in all of life’s situations, savor silence and alone time and live my passion with relative ease.

Yes, I suppose I am low maintenance in many aspects of my life. In others, it is a tiresome work in progress with a lot of stumbling and falling along the way. But God gives strength to keep my eyes upon Him, my heart open to His leading, my hand in His in childlike faith, my feet following in His steps.

The words and music of the hymn Day by Day is reflective of my heart this morning and every day that I trust God implicitly for all things and in every situation.

You may sing along with the music here:

Day by Day

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

· Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.

· Help me then, in every tribulation,
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation,
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till with Christ the Lord I stand.


(Words: Lina Sandell, 1865)

2 comments:

Sita said...

Actually, I meant you 'seem' to be a low maintenance person because of your temperament. But deep down I don't think that any of us really are when it comes to living a life fully surrendered to God--because that is 'high maintenance' as Joy describes in Ponderings.

Sometimes we take the 'low maintenance' people in our lives for granted just because they don't wear their emotions on their sleeves. All the same, we need to bear in mind that we are all needy, whether we acknowledge it or not and I am asking God to help me not to take people for granted, esp. my own family.
Blessings to you and may God's grace fall in the places that need His ministry today..
Love, Sita

Cheryl Wright said...

I know what you meant Sita. Now that I think of it, while no one else has described me as "low-maintenance': they have conveyed the same idea in other descriptions they have used to describe me.

However, I acknowledge that my low maintenance which is indeed a reflection of my temperament, is nothing more than the outworking of God's grace in my imperfect nature.

You know, I've never thought of people in those terms: low and high maintenance. I think they describe some of the people in my life.

I could muse on this low maintenance and high maintenance thing for a while. It is the most interesting description I've heard in a long time.

Cheryl