Written since September 8th 2008 but couldn't post until today because I had no Internet connection for several weeks.
In the Bible, God says in Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.” We may like to believe that we can meet and know God in the few minutes we skim off the top of our busy days. Even worse, quiet time for prayer and meditation barely makes it to a couple days a week. Clearly though, He knows better and therefore calls us to know Him in the stillness.
I have found that there is a special communion with God when I dedicate and spend quiet moments not only to for prayer but more importantly to hear His voice through His word, the Bible. He shows me where I have veered from the righteous path, He speaks comfort and reassurance to my heart and His gives me direction. And in meditating, I come to know Him.
Quiet time, moments of stillness need not take place in what you consider to be an ideal situation: perfect time, perfect place and the perfect setting in a comfortable arm chair with no one around, no noise in the background and no chance of interruption.
Let’s face it, the way our lives have evolved, we are forced to be inventive and carve out time wherever we can find it and use the most unlikely places, such as on the public transport, at your work desk before office opening hours, some time out of your lunch hour, on the evening commute or those few minutes after your nighttime shower before your family calls for your attention again.
Stop repeating the same old static busy person’s prayer penned by someone else. Make time for meaningful prayer and meditation, invite His presence and get to know him while you're still.




2 comments:
So very true and wise, Let’s face it, the way our lives have evolved, we are forced to be inventive and carve out time wherever we can find it and use the most unlikely places... Thanks for reaffirming the need to meet God without necessarily having all the right conditions in place before doing so.
Hello guymuse,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know only too well the need to have everything "just right" before sitting with God. I write from the reality of my own life. It is heartening to share my experiences and meet others who know exactly what I'm talking/writing about. Iron sharpens iron right?
Post a Comment