Friday, February 15, 2008

God ordained exercise for retired, peri-menopausal female writers

For years my husband had been nagging me to exercise. I mean really exercise. And for years I kept saying that getting up at 4.30 a.m. to get ready for work, walking to catch the bus, walking to get a taxi, walking to the office and walking around with customers all day (well, not all day) and going through the same routine in reverse in the evening was enough exercise for me. I was too beat by the time I got home to do more exercise on top of household chores. Just thinking about it, increased my heart rate enough.

Since I retired a year and a half ago to write fulltime from home, God has been gracious to infuse my life with built-in exercise. Here's how:

1.    Daily household chores. This one tires me out. Up and down, back and forth. Whew! I don't have the strength to elaborate.

2.    Writing – exercising the tools of my trade, my brain and my fingers. Plus I keep shifting in my chair as I work. That has to be exercising my back, my hips, my butt and my legs.

3.    Taking breaks to trod to the kitchen for coffee refills. That's two healthy practices – breaks and walking.

4.    Preparing lunch is exercise going back and forth and around the kitchen within the triangle zone.

5.    Fifty-two going on fifty-three and peri-menopausal provides me with ample exercise. I leave one room to go get something in another. I get side tracked then return to the first room only to realize that I forgot what I went for in the first place. I try again. I fail. Shucks! What's wrong with my brain? Oh yes, thank you Lord, you're such a good father. I know, you're giving me the exercise I need. I have another go at it. Sometimes, I get it right and other times, I abandon the whole thing because I never remember what i intended. But more often than not three trips through the house and I get my exercise and talk to God.

No comments: